Sunday 28 August 2011

Fruity Vodka

My Gran has lots of fruit trees in her garden and this week she has given me plums and damsons. I have made damson vodka for the last few years and I make it in a very simple way.

Damson Vodka

1 bottle of non expensive vodka
Damsons
Caster Sugar

  • I squish the damsons to break them open, I don't remove skin or stones at this point and I push into either a demi john or a sterilised  bottle - a big empty Bombay Sapphire this time as it has a nice wide neck. I put the bottle through the hot dishwasher cycle and then place in a heated oven for a few minutes to sterilise.
  • I fill approx a third of the bottle with damsons.
  • Then add the sugar to the bottle, I add until there is about 2 inches of sugar on top of the damsons
  • Add the vodka until full.
  • Seal and place in a cool dark place for 3 months - turning and shaking occasionally.  After 3 months strain through muslin to remove the damsons into a jug or bowl, pour back into the bottle. 
  • It is now ready to drink or you can leave for another 3 months.
  • You can make this with gin to make Damson Gin!


Plum Vodka

This is the first time I have made this so I have taken instructions from my Gran in how to make this. I have made my first attempt today and it is a very pleasing pink colour.

You need

Plums
Caster Sugar
Vodka

  • Chop plums and remove stones (remove skin if you wish) and add to a large pan
  • Add sugar to the equivalent of half the weight of the plums
  • Add Vodka - 75cl for every 500g of plums
  • Very very very slowly heat the mixture, stirring occasionally until the sugar has melted but before the liquid comes up to simmering point.
  • Remove from heat, strain through a muslin into a jug and pour into sterilised bottle.
  • Seal and store in a cool dark place for 3 months.

Today I also made jam from the vodka soaked plums (could make for a boozy cream tea, possibly not advisable on your breakfast), I made the jam without pectin.
  • Take discarded vodka soaked plums
  • add lemon juice and cook slowly for about 15 mins
  • add a cup of caster sugar
  • Cook slowly to reduce down, skim any scum or stray bits of skin from the jam.
  • Pour into sterile jars - allow to cool and seal.
Remember to drink responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment