Wednesday 15 June 2011

I spend my whole life trying to diet or eat sensibly as I am the type of girl who only has to look at a donut to put on half a stone.
I love food and can only eat salad for so many days before becoming bored, so I have a never ending search for low fat/calorie food which is still yummy.
The first time I cooked this dish, I was tempted to go to the local Chinese takeaway for a lemon chicken but talked myself out of it and instead made what I call Lemon Chilli Chicken, I'm sure I could come up with something more exciting to call it but hey it says what it is...

Lemon Chilli Chicken.

Chicken breasts (you could use thighs but as I was aiming for low fat I use skinless chicken breasts)
2 Garlic cloves
Chilli flakes
Dried oregano
2 lemons (Limes work well too)
Olive Oil
Water.
Salt and Pepper

I think this dish works better if you make and leave to marinade before you cook.

Method

Place chicken in oven proof dish.
Chop or press garlic cloves over the chicken
add good teaspoon or more (if you like it hot) of chilli flakes and of dried oregano
Take one of the lemons and halve it, squeeze the juice over the chicken.
add a 2/3 teaspoons of olive oil and 2/3 table spoons of water
Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
Cut the 2nd Lemon into wedges and place around the chicken.
Mix well so chicken is coated in marinade and cover.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, basting once or twice during cooking. Remove the foil and brown the chicken for the last 5 minutes.

Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.  I either serve this with new potatoes and salad or with couscous and roasted vegetables, ladling the sauce of the chicken. It's also great served cold.
I gave this recipe to someone who followed with a desert of Pimms Sorbet (find the recipe here)

No comments:

Post a Comment